Here are a few fireplace tips to keep you and yours safe.
- Don’t soak newspaper in flammable fuels to start a fire, or it could cause an explosion.
- Keep flammable materials such as carpets, pillows, furniture or papers away from the fireplace area. Make sure that the fire is out completely before going to bed or leaving the house.
- Do not treat artificial logs like real logs. Artificial logs are usually made of sawdust and wax and have special burning properties. Use just one artificial log at a time.
- Before using your fireplace, be sure there’s no bird nest or debris buildup on the cap, and that there aren’t tree limbs above or near the chimney.
- Never burn garbage, rolled newspapers, charcoal or plastic in the fireplace.
- Never burn a Christmas tree in the fireplace.
- Before winter starts, get your chimney professionally checked. Chimney sweeps also clean gas-burning fireplaces and fireplaces with wood-burning inserts.
- Don’t overload the fireplace; otherwise, firewood may tumble out. A couple of logs will be enough.